Saturday, December 8, 2012

Our Morning in the ER

Roan woke up a little early this morning. Usually I have to wake him up at 8am (at least on mornings when I have class), but if I don't he sometimes sleeps until 8:30/8:45. This morning, he woke up at 7:30am. Not a huge deal, but right away I suspected something was "off"...but thought maybe it was something along the lines of a poopy diaper.

The morning went on like normal. Waffles and a banana for breakfast, with milk of course. Sean woke up a little before 9am and came downstairs. Roan started getting whiny. I checked him for poop several times (though he can say "poop" and "diaper", he has yet to use the words to communicate); his diaper was clean every time. I thought Maybe he has another tooth coming in... Those are usually the two reasons why he whines other than wanting to sit on my lap when I'm busy or frustration with one of his toys. 

I was on the computer in the dining room, he was standing next to my chair and was whining. I assumed he wanted me to hold him or he wanted to play with the computer since I introduced him to the Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood website a few days ago. 

Then it happened...he puked all over the floor and his clothes. I changed him and wiped him down in the tub while Sean cleaned up the mess (he was the champion of cleaning up vomit this morning...thanks hun). I put him in clean clothes and about 20 minutes later, he puked again all over his clothes. We decided to keep him in his diaper.

He didn't have a fever. Other than right before and during his pukes as well as the 15 seconds or so after he puked, he was acting normal. 

After I took his second outfit off, he said kept repeating "Sleep! Nap!" So I wrapped him in a blanket and rocked with him in his room. He wasn't really going to sleep, so I asked Sean to bring the chair downstairs so I could at least rock him down there...also, I could sit on the hardwood and clean up vomit easier than if he'd puked all over his rug in his room.

We rocked and he was asleep within 5 minutes. He slept on me for something like 15-20 minutes, I think. I got up to move to the couch because my hip was cramping up and he woke up. He tried to go back to sleep, but then he started whining again...I knew what was coming. I got up and stood over the hardwood and he threw up again. I told Sean: "We're taking him to the ER or Urgent Care or something." Off we went to the ER. 

I was standing by the car with Roan while Sean went in to grab "impostor Owl" (he'd puked on his actual owl security blanket earlier and it was in the dryer) and Roan puked for a fourth time while standing outside. Thankfully, I had the forethought to grab a container in case he puked in the car, though it did get on his coat and mine. He didn't puke in the car, which was good, I guess. He was still talking about things; not his usual chipper self, but not completely lethargic either.

They have this whole system now in the ER...metal detectors and 2 check in desks. They've really beefed up security. While we were at check-in desk #1, he puked again. By the way, holding a puking toddler while simultaneously trying to hold the bowl for him to puke in isn't easy...not standing up anyway. 

They got us to a room and checked his vitals...all normal according to the doctor. While we waited for the doctor, I tried to keep him distracted...thankfully I brought the Kindle which has apps that he loves. The doctor came in, asked us more questions. No, no one at daycare was sick. He asked what Roan had eaten in the last few hours and we told him. Nothing odd there. He asked if Roan likes popsickles or juice, we told him he really only drinks water or milk and we don't really given him super sweet stuff that often. So he suggested trying sips of water every ten minutes.

We gave him a sip, waited ten minutes, gave him another sip, waited ten minutes...all was fine. Really, by the time the doctor came in, he was acting completely normal (he called the doctor "papa"...I think he thinks that's what every older man's name is haha...but he definitely knows Sean's dad is his Papa). So we were discharged. I gave Roan a saltine and that stayed down. I gave him another one a bit later and another one in the car. No more puking.

I gave him toast when we got back...he ate almost two full pieces! And a few crackers, too. I gave him Pedialyte to drink (the nurse said that was ok to do). I waited 15 minutes before putting him down for a nap (again, he kept saying "sleep!" so I knew he was tired) to make sure his food stayed down.

Now he's napping and I'm hoping he doesn't puke again. He's such a healthy kid, this was hard for me. I know God is in control, but in the car I couldn't help but worry about all the worst-case scenarios. I prayed the whole way to the hospital.

It's seriously so hard when your baby is sick. That feeling of helplessness...there was nothing I could do to stop his puking. I wanted to so badly. I wanted to make it better. But I couldn't. I didn't like that one bit.

So, here's hoping (and praying) it was just a random, odd, fluke thing.

No comments: