Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Tests and Teeth

Before I get into the grossness (I will try to censor as much as possible, though), here's some cuteness:
"I bet you wish you could wear a onesie and look this good." 
Roan had diarrhea for about 4 days total last week. After day 2, I called his doctor. I also told them about our concerns about him going through about a week of throwing up and eating less about every 2-3 weeks.

The doctor ordered some stool samples and recommended switching to soy formula. Collecting his stool was obviously not fun (naturally, momma did it...but I have a stomach of steel, so I was ok with it). Being that he's still in diapers, obviously, most of the diarrhea was absorbed by the diaper. So I did have to collect it a second time for the lab. The sample for the rotavirus test needed to be collected within 2 hours, so that complicated it a little. And, side note: when I dropped off the samples, I had to take it to the hospital. My first thought was "Oatmeal cookies!!" Their oatmeal cookies are THE best (although they might have tasted better when I was 1-2 days post-partum haha). But they were out :( Just had to share that little disappointment.

Anyway, all the tests came back negative. I feel better knowing that those things are ruled out.

As for the switching to soy thing.... I'm not a fan of soy. Even for myself, but especially for my infant son. There have been studies and, well, I won't get into it. You can Google if you really want to.

If it came down to it and we knew Roan was lactose intolerant, obviously he needs to eat & if soy formula was our only option, so be it. However, according to my memory, we didn't have any issues with him throwing up until we switched formula brands. We had been giving him Earth's Best, but we changed to Parent's Choice organic because it was cheaper, frankly. I'd heard they were pretty comparable, but I never compared them ingredient-by-ingredient (bad mom?). So, that's what I did.

Turns out Parent's Choice has magnesium phosphate in it and Earth's Best does not. I looked up the side effects of magnesium phosphate (I think some people take it as a supplement?) and sure enough: nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea were listed.

So, thinking that maybe Roan is possibly sensitive to this, we are trying Earth's Best again for a month to see if he throws up. If he can go the rest of the month without going through an "episode", then I'll pretty much be convinced that the new formula is the culprit. Earth's Best is about twice as expensive, but it's worth it to not have him throwing up. And I really, really don't think his vomiting and diarrhea was from teething because it didn't line up at all with his teeth coming through.



Speaking of teeth...tooth #2 finally broke through! I don't have a picture just yet because I just noticed it tonight as I was putting him down for bed.

He's seriously so close to crawling, too! Seems like every day he's getting closer and closer. I have a feeling we're going to be buying baby gates and putting up all our baby-proofing gear soon.

No comments: