Wednesday, July 4, 2012

First Parade

I'm writing this post at midnight because...well...the oh-so-lovely 4th of July fireworks keep waking Roan up. And I'm the kind of person who can't sleep if I'm anticipating something...if I'm anticipating people to stop talking, for instance. Tonight, I'm anticipating more people setting off fireworks, causing Roan to wake up. So I won't be able to sleep unless no fireworks have gone off nearby for at least an hour.

Since Roan goes to bed at 8pm, we didn't go see any fireworks. He probably would have liked them, but it's not worth keeping him up that late past his bedtime. It's not like he'll remember seeing fireworks when he was (almost) one.  And we didn't care enough to get a babysitter.

We did go to the Eaton Rapids parade, though! He did watch parts of it, but other than that, he was trying to walk and climb everywhere...and I was pouring water on him to try to keep him cool.



We took him for short walks down the sidewalk to keep him busy.











He failed to notice the nice Shrine-er man waving at him.

For most of the parade, we were in the shade. I don't know why I thought parades weren't that long, haha. I mean, I was in one - as Pocahontas...in moccasins that were at least a size too small. Not my proudest moment. 

Anyway, as the parade went on...and on...the sun gradually started to creep on us. I stripped Roan down to his onesie to help keep him cool. He spit up a little before the parade...he NEVER spits up. So I was worried about him. He seemed ok after it happened...I think it was either because I tried giving him a little bit of cows milk (organic) with his formula (I did 1 part cows milk, 3 parts formula) with snack before we left. Or something else? All the excitement? I watched him like a hawk to make sure he wasn't showing signs of heat stroke. And I kept giving him water. Towards the end of the parade, I just stood under a building with him so we were in the shade. He kind of seemed like he was getting lethargic, but I think he was just actually interested in the parade.

By the time we got to the car, he was fine. I fed him his lunch on the way home and he was talking and back to himself. He napped from 1:15-3:30ish; Sean and I napped on the couch, which felt great. 

We're not trying cows milk again at least until July 10th. I'm not 100% sure if that's what made him spit up, but I don't want to take any chances. I know people who introduced it before their kid turned one, but I think I'm gonna wait...5 more days, haha.

All-in-all, even though it was hot, we had fun. I am excited to do more stuff like that with Roan and re-live parts of my childhood!

No comments: